- Digital Campus - Toulouse
Digital Campus - Toulouse
Place de l'Europe
This campus is composed of three separate buildings, including the digital school that trains students in computer science, to revitalize the Place de l'Europe in the heart of Toulouse. Located in the heart of the city, it is spread over the site of a former military barracks and around what was once the Place d'Armes, revitalized by this operation. The hotel with its Dutch concept mixes professional and student populations in a very friendly environment (gym, rooftop pool, etc.). Part of this equipment will be reinvested in a former 18th century military barracks, entirely restructured and developed in a resolutely contemporary extension.
Two independent blocks, hosting the school and the co-workshop, mirror this rehabilitation opposite the landscaped square, affirming the transition between classical architecture and modernity. This proposal is an ambitious project of urban densification while respecting the primordial stake of the comfort of life. It is in this context that the Digital Campus project is conceived; Ynov reinforces the existing synergies between different actors of the economic life and universities such as TBS, Epitech, ...
It also links the Compans Caffarelli district, extended by its gardens, and the future urbanization of the "gazomètre", the former Engie gas storage sites that will be the precursor of the new Brouardel eco-district.
Strong idea of the project and its main variations
The composition of the ensemble takes into account the axis that connects the barracks to the Compans Cafarelli Garden that adjoins the square. The blocks mirror the rehabilitation of the existing barracks opposite the landscaped square, affirming the transition between classical architecture and modernity. This operation thus tends to give back to the Place de l'Europe a more reasonable scale and to allow users to re-appropriate this largely deserted space.
The accessible roof will be a spectacular and attractive amenity. The 360° views on the city will allow relaxation and reconnection with the city. The social link is created by the development of quality public spaces, places of animation and exchange within the district. The project favors soft modes of transportation and proposes a large bicycle parking lot, and does not include any car parking spaces.
To implement this idea of a "digital building" we have used four main materials:
- Glass: In order to highlight and not saturate the landscape, the transparency of the glass composes all the facades of the School and coworking blocks. A light and transparent design is deliberately sought in order to enhance the digital training activity and conversely turn the building towards this very qualitative public space.
- Steel: In order to implement this transparency, fine joinery is sought and large external frames are used to showcase what is happening inside. These large metal elements, when repeated, can provide solar protection in double height spaces.
- Wood: In order to make the interior warm in terms of atmosphere, acoustic quality and air quality, the concrete floors will be systematically treated with wood fiber panels on the underside, as the project does not include false ceilings in the current parts.
- The concrete: For the two blocks, in order to leave a great flexibility to the evolutions of the building's functioning, the structural principle is thought from a central concrete block where will be concentrated the functioning organs (stairs, elevators, sanitary and technical rooms) and the bearing points, concrete posts, which will be found in frontage.
For the Student Hotel Residence, a concrete post/beam structure optimizes all the volumes of the rooms.
|Project owner||SCCV Careto - Icade - Ynov|
FP01 - TPFI
|Surface||3 955 m²|
School and Coworking: 2021
|Certification||BREEAM Very Good|